26 September 2007

A Bad Mail Day

WE ARE STARTING to get mail and that's a good thing. It makes us feel like we are finally getting settled-in after a hectic few weeks. But now we have a more permanent address and information (from France and abroad) is reaching us on a fairly regular basis. In fact, it's kind of exciting to walk out to the mail box to see what has arrived.

But today's trip to the post box did not yield good results. Inside was a letter addressed to me from some entity within the French government. I opened the letter and read the heading at the top: Avis de Contravention au Code de la Route. A closer look at the return address showed the letter was from the Centre Automatise de Constation des Infractions Routieres. Yes, I got a speeding ticket! Can you believe it. Apparently I was clocked on camera heading home from Antibes going 76 kmh in a 70 kmh zone. For those of you who love math conversions, that means I was going about 4 miles per hour over the speed limit -- and for that the French government is charging me 45 Euros.

This speeding ticket is now sitting on the fireplace mantle next to the parking ticket I got last week! while visiting the Prefecture in Nice. If my cars fails inspection next week I'll hit the voiture trifecta! Do I win anything for that?
CJS

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

You have to be careful about speeding on the small roads. On the motorways you can go as fast as you like.

Brightened My Day said...

Thanks!My husband is learning that the hard way!

Anonymous said...

I've made a couple of calls and an arrest warrant is being prepared as we speak......you English Infidel!!!!!!!!

jim

megan said...

We were welcomed to France the same way last summer! We've learned to be very careful on the roads here!
Thanks for sharing your fun stories- it's great to read about the lives of other Americans here!