20 September 2007

Le Plat du Jour

IT SEEMS ODD that we have been here for a month and haven't yet talked about food. After dinner tonight the kids said 'you have GOT to write about this on the blog.' Not because dinner was anything spectacular -- in fact it was quite the opposite: two salads, soup, fresh bread and cheese.

But it's the fresh ingredients that make a meal great. On my way home this evening I stopped off for a few items and decided to buy some fresh tomatoes. I don't know why, but I had a desperate craving for a tomato and fresh mozzarella salad even though we had the same salad two nights ago. [Note: I think my craving stems from the fact that I can by gorgeous tomatoes for about $1.25 per pound, a far cry from the $4.00+ I often paid in Maryland. It also helps that I can get a very large chunk of fresh mozzarella for just under 1 Euro.]

So our simple plat du jour this evening included the following:

  • tomato and mozzeralla salad (with fresh olive oil made from the trees on the property where we are living -- a gift from the owner of the house)
  • a tomato soup (from a box, no less...but we don't need to mention any more about that)
  • a wonderful salad that Kerri made - with greens, apples, strawberries, chick peas, shredded carrots, and a sweet-tangy vinagrette
  • two warm baguettes that the kids picked up after school
  • a bit of cheese (comtè)

But the reason Patrick and Julia wanted us to mention the meal on this blog was because of the dessert: two crisp, fresh, succulent...Twix bars! Ah, now that's good eats.

CJS

3 comments :

Penny said...

Ah, comté! It took my uncultured australian palate a few weeks to get used to it but now I love it. I just made a gratin au chou-fleur with it last night. Your salad looks superb :)

Anonymous said...

Try getting kids to eat Comte! Actually, they adapt pretty quick, but they prefer the 'normal' cheese you find on the dairy shelves.

Racheal Miles said...

My 11 year old daughter loves comte, I found it hard to get used to at first but I find that I eat more cheese here in France than I ever did in England, I have also adjusted my taste's to Emental also.

I love tomato and mozzarella salad.

Racheal x