12 October 2007

Not Your Standard Hot Lunch

ON FRIDAYS THE twins stay at school for lunch instead of coming home like they usually do. Each week they look forward to cantine day. If you knew what they had for lunch you'd look forward to it too.

The school in our town claims to have France's first (and only) 100% organic cantine (at least that's what they tell us). All the ingredients used for the meals are completely organic and are cooked fresh each day. But I can't explain it very well so I'm asking P & J to 'dictate' the rest of this entry.


P: First of all, we eat lunch with real dishes and real forks
and knives -- not plastic.
J: Except for the cups, we have plastic cups...and they're too
small!
P: The first thing we do when we walk in is wait for our name to be
called so we can get in line. Then we go through line. The first
thing we put on our trays is silver wear, a piece of bread, and the
cup.
J: After we get our food we take it to our table and start eating --
except there are some very strict rules which I hate. We have to sit with both hands on the table at all times and sit up straight in our chairs...
P: I got in trouble for both of those things the first time.
J: ...and we have to finish everything on our plate before
we get up and go out for recess.
P: But the food is so good. Oh my goodness, I always want to have more but we can't go back for seconds.
J: How do you know, Patrick? You've never asked.
P: I'm not going to just ask for more food!
J: It's the salad that is so good. I wish I could have 20 of them.

Just for fun, take a look at today's menu:
  • Fresh bread
  • Salad with olive oil and vinegar
  • baked Salmon with white sauce and herbs (the photo is, of course, a stock photo from the internet)
  • steamed carrots and green beans
  • Apple Tart

That beats my lunch today -- a couple bites of baguette and some licorice.
CJS

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

We stayed with you guys in March and really don't believe that this French fare is better than any of the dishes prepared for us by the fabulous Ms Kerri Scriven!!!!!!!!!!

Katie Zeller said...

Isn't strange to go from 'keeping your left hand in your lap' to 'keeping both hands on the table'? I'm still not used to it after 10 years?
I'm enjoying your blog....loved the 'faux pas'...

Penny said...

Sounds yummy! Lily is keen to try the cantine when she's bigger but for now, I like the ritual of picking her up and coming home for lunch.

jackie. said...

cuc could take some lessons from the french. after the fifth day of rice pilaf, you really start to wonder how they generate it in such large quantities...

Brightened My Day said...

Jimbo, you know you are welcome here anytime you want and you DON"T have to butter me up with your sweet talkin bout my cookin!!!!! With that said, keep the compliments a comin!!!!!

Brightened My Day said...

Jackie, although the kids LOVE the French lunches they pine for the delicious fake meat spreads of the CUC caf (actually, Jonathan does as well)!!!!