31 December 2007

Dammit!

YOU'RE GOING TO have to refer to the next entry to get this one:

About 20 minutes after I posted the last entry we hopped in the car and headed to Auchan (think Target but with a large food section). The whole point of our trip was to get food for the holiday meals we'll be having in the next few days. When we got there we realized -- that's right -- we didn't bring any bags!!

Dammit!

Oh, and in case you are wondering (why wouldn't you be?), we just finished our New Year's Eve meal (the French make kind of a big deal out of the NYE meal). Our menu:
  • Fillet of Sole with bell pepper beurre blanc sauce
  • Herbed basmati rice
  • Fresh tomato and cucumber salad with lemon and herbs
  • baguette with cheese (tonight it was Morbier and Saint Nectaire)
  • and for dessert...Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough Ice Cream

That's a good meal, folks! Simple, too. And I know it was a success because my wife -- who doesn't exactly love food that comes from the sea -- had three helpings of the fish. I think it helped that the beurre blanc I made had a good white wine and about 3 lbs. of butter in it.

Happy New Year everyone.

CJS

4 comments :

J Perry Stone said...

I didn't know you were such a chef, J.

Ric's been trying out his hand, as well. He has a to-die-for marinade for steaks and such. I do the salads, he does the meat.

And you should know that we went to the ABC when we went home for x-mas. I seriously thought about sending you a can o' veggie crap till I weighed it in my hands. Even so, were it not for R's exec status at Delta allowing us to check in 25 extra lbs without paying (they must add raw weight to veggie franks, choplets, and fri-chick), we woulda had to pay extra.

But I thought of you.

And tell Ker that when she gets back, Mrs. Ched is now selling her curry at the the ABC ... in mild too.

J Perry Stone said...

As far as your bags are concerned, read your last post and the suggestions down there.

I myself am trying to go green and bought myself 5 canvas grocery bags. I ALWAYS forget to bring them into the store (and I always intend to use them everywhere: Targ, Wal, etc). I've taken to wheeling out all my unbagged shice into the parking lot and waving my receipt conspicuously in case anybody thinks I haven't paid for it all.

It's lovely.

J

Anonymous said...

I guess your "old bag" that you took with you couldn't carry enough?

deedee said...

3 lbs of butter makes anything good.
Happy New Year!