20 January 2008

Can I Ride up This? Probably not!

HERE’S A QUICK post to make some of my cycling friends from the US happy. We recently went up the Col de Vence, a mountain pass near our house (we were in a car, by the way). Almost 3000 ft, 9.5 km, average grade of 7%. I took this photo about half way up. The views from the top are spectacular. A friend told me – and I have no way to verify this – that this ride was part of the Tour de France in the early 1980s. I’ll give it a shot in the spring. Hopefully I won't have a Gabriella Anderson-Schiess moment. Right now I’d like to just be able to make it from the main street to our house without feeling like lactic acid is going to burst out of my knee caps.

Obscure reference guide: Gabriella Anderson-Schiess
CJS

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

In 2006 we spent 2 weeks in Provence (Lourmarin and then Grasse) and then 2 weeks in the Dordogne. When we were in Grasse we road up to Gourdes, there was a 15% grade section and I honestly thought I was going to have to get off my bike and walk, but I pushed on and up and it was worth it. The view was beautiful. It took 1 hour 15 to get up and 10 minutes to get down.