16 January 2008

My Anton Ego Moment

DO YOU REMEMBER the scene in Ratatouille when the super-pretentious French food critic Anton Ego (great name) tasted Remy's cuisine and his thoughts immediately rushed back to his childhood? I had that experience last night.

My mother is Swedish and I grew up eating traditional Swedish food on holidays and special occasions. I still have it every once in a great while, but only when my mother makes it. But last evening I opened the door to our house after a long day of work and was greeted with an unmistakable aroma; an aroma that I instantly recognized: kottbular! I think this is as good an English spelling as I can come up with for Swedish Meatballs!! Hint: the 'k' should be pronounced like 'sh'...I know, the Swedes have some crazy ideas about phonetics.

Kerri had prepared this dish for me as a surprise. This was the first time I have ever had Swedish meatballs that were not prepared by my mother or my Mormor (the cafeteria at IKEA doesn't count). They were superb! Obviously, Kerri was paying close attention when my mother made them for Christmas dinner a few weeks ago. What a treat! Kerri was amazed that I knew what we were having for dinner the instant I walked in the house. I tried to explain that the smell of Swedish meatballs is a smell I never get wrong. Ever. It reminds me of my childhood.

Oh, and the special occasion this time? Yesterday was our anniversary. 13 years, and I finally get a good meal. (that's gonna cost me)
CJS

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

Look what I have to deal with...

Roland said...

Happy aniversary! Kerri, did you make them from scratch? You know that you could always visit IKEA. They sell meatballs with packages of sauce to take home to make it a little easier.

Found this explination and spelling on Wikipedia. Funny how they mention IKEA when explaning.

"In Sweden köttbullar (meatballs) are made with ground beef, mixed with breadcrumbs soaked in milk and finely chopped onions. They are seasoned with white pepper or allspice and salt. Swedish meatballs are traditionally served with gravy, boiled potatoes, lingonberry jam, and sometimes fresh pickled cucumber. Swedish meatballs are served at the cafeteria at most IKEA locations around the world."

And if you are interested in norwegian it is køttboller pronounced slightly differant then in sweden.

J Perry Stone said...

Well you know what they say ... the way to a mans heart and all.

But I'm not making my dh his traditional food (Ker, you're a better voman than moi), mostly because some of the spices they use make the food smell like it's been marinating under sweaty ... uh ... meatballs.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 13 years! Dana and I just celebrated our 12th a couple of weeks ago. Although it wasn't much of a celebration (I had to work so there was no whoopy or anything for poor Dana).

Brightened My Day said...

Roland, I looked everywhere for an explanation. How silly that I didn't think the awesome Wikipedia. And I don't have a clue how to put the two dots over the 'o' on my keyboard.
--J

Brightened My Day said...

Jim: I think you meant 'lucky' Dana!

Cassoulet Cafe said...

Happy Anniversary!

The only "real" Swedish Meatballs I've had were at IKEA. They were good!

French for a While said...

Remember, the IKEA ones don't count!!

Anonymous said...

ahhhhh had to catch up with all you have been writing!!! Want to add my congratulations on LUCKY 13!!! You two are rather special - keep on going -- make it lucky 26. Hopefully Kerri didn't read your post...or she just might find some rather creative ways to make you pay. ciao for now
e