08 January 2008

I'm Staying Up Late Tonight. Are You?

YOU'RE GOING TO have to excuse me for saying a bit about the primary elections happening in the States right now. Those of you who know me well know my passion for politics and campaigns. Before moving to France I kept another little blog that focused on local and national US politics. My last entry before we moved to France -- written in August -- summed up my thoughts about the 2008 presidential race at the time. Now that the elections are here, it was fun to go back and read what I had written. You can read it too if you want (but not all at the same time, my serve won't be able to keep up with the demand!)

I could go on for a while about how the 2008 race is so compelling, but I'll spare you those opinions for now (but check back later -- I'm sure I'll have something to say). But it is fun to consider this little bit of American political history. Since 1980, there has been either a Bush or a Clinton in the White House! That's 27 years, folks; an entire generation. Don't believe me, check this out:
  • 2004 - Bush
  • 2000 - Bush
  • 1996 - Clinton
  • 1992 - Clinton
  • 1988 - Bush
  • 1984 - Bush (VP)
  • 1980 - Bush (VP)

Will 2008 bring another Clinton to the White House? Did someone say aristocracy?

But I digress. My point is that I will really miss being in Washington during campaign season. Luckily, thanks to CNN International and many, many cups of strong coffee, I'll be up most of tonight watching the New Hampshire returns live -- coverage begins at about 2:00 am local time. So I'll be watching Anderson Cooper just like some of you (especially you, mom).

And I can't wait.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about American politics, but I read your post from August anyway. It was great

J Perry Stone said...

Uh, I'd wager my left hand your wife won't be up with you.

Betty Carlson said...

It is exciting, isn't it. I think I stand for change.