15 May 2008

The Boogiemen Swing

MANY CITIES AROUND the world have street performers who entertain tourists and locals with everything from juggling acts to comedy routines to musical interludes. The city of Nice is no different. When I came to interview for my current job about a year ago, I remember seeing a New Orleans-style jazz group playing on the Cours Saleya. They stuck out in my mind because I have always loved old-style Dixieland jazz (and they were singing the standards in English). Anyway, I've seen them around Nice quite often since then and have always enjoyed their music. I've also learned that the name of their group is The Boogiemen Swing.

But here's where it gets fun.

The CIV has an impressive music program and one of my students is apparently a good jazz guitar player and is thriving in the program. I got to talking with him one day after class about jazz music in general and he mentioned that his father is in a jazz band in Nice and wondered if I had ever seen them. Of course, I didn't know who he was talking about, but I soon learned that his father is part of ... The Boogiemen Swing. They play lots of gigs in jazz clubs around the Cote d'Azur and he's invited Kerri and I to come out one weekend to see them in Nice. This summer they will also be featured in the very popular Nice Jazz Festival. (Our friend over at Poppy in Provence will probably enjoy this post because she's in jazz band as well...I think I have that right.)

Hear some of the music they have posted on their myspace page. If you live in the area it's very possible you've seen them. He're a short video of them performing.

Exactly Like You - Boogiemen

[Late Update: it appears the video isn't working properly, but you can at least see a photo of the group. Go to the myspace page linked above to hear some of the music.]
CJS

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

The video worked for me