07 July 2008

Small Has It's Advantages

I REALLY CONSIDER myself a city boy. I love being around the hustle and bustle of big cities. Kerri and I often comment on how we like to hear 'city noice' when we are going to bed. But the few days we have been in the village of Puivert (see photo -- that's where we are) has reminded us that small towns really do have some advantages, especially if you have kids. (I should know this since I grew up in a small town in southeastern Washington state). Today after we returned home from shopping for food (see previous post), I told Patrick and Julia that I had a chore for them. I wanted them to ride their bikes down to the lake and scout out the playing fields that are there -- a basketball area, tennis courts, and some soccer goals. I also wanted them to find out the temperature of the lake to see if it was worth heading down for a quick dip. They took off -- on their own.

This is the part that is bit new for Kerri and I. Patrick and Julia have lived most of their lives in suburban Washington, DC -- not exactly a place where they have been able to roam around on their own. And in our house in the southeast part of France there isn't a lot for them to do in the 'neighborhood' so they spend most of the time in the yard or in the pool. But here they are able to explore the village on their own. So when I asked them to scout out the lake and playground area they were very excited, mostly because they were thrilled that we were allowing them to go on their own.

So what did they find at the lake? I never really found out because about 10 mintes after they left they stormed back into the house, rushed upstairs, put on their bathing suits, said 'bye, we're going into the lake', and rushed out of the house. Kerri and Henry ended up joining them while I stayed home and watched the Tour de France.

Now that's a good afternoon.
CJS

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

The Lake - btw, it's artificial or "Lac de barrage" actually - has a bit of a beach and it's next to the camping so there's bound to be plenty of kids; I bet that's what got the kids excited huh?! :-) I was there, LATE one Summer, camping, when a lady came to ask me how long I intended to stay? So I mention my planned departure date and she says "That's fine, as long as you can accept only one cleaning of the toilets & showers... you see, we are closed!" Would I please drop by Town Hall on my departure to settle the bill? (& no cash up front!)

So, yes I remember the place very well, LOVE IT!

Have you seen the geological position? Up until medieval times the *whole* valley was a big lake, early 1300s it broke through the hilly ridge at Puivert and the resulting flood destroyed most of Mirepoix.

I sure wouldn't mind living there!!

Greetings, Francis