24 August 2008

iPod Playlist (No French Songs)

iPOD'S HAVE BEEN around for a long time, but we have only had one for about 4 months. For Mother's Day I bought Kerri an video iPod [Note: if subjected to Dick Cheney-style interrogation methods I might have to amend the previous sentence to read: 'for Mother's day I bought myself a video iPod...which Kerri occasionally gets to use']. Anyway, since we now have this device we log on to iTunes from time to time to see what music we might like to download. We've downloaded a wide variety of things -- from classical, to jazz, to rock, to High School Musical (both albums!), to French lessons. But it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that I figured out how to create a playlist -- a self-created 'album' of sorts. Since I've started listening to the iPod during bike rides (listening in only one ear means I'm being safe, right?) I was now able to create a playlist to listen to while riding around. Here's the list in the order it plays:

  • Eminem: 'Lose Yourself'' (a little motivation to start)
  • The Killers: 'Somebody Told Me"
  • Jimmy Eat World: 'The Middle' (I'm a sucker for cheap guitar pop)
  • Linkin Park: 'One Step Closer'
  • Linkin Park: 'Crawling' (Two Linkin Park songs a bit much? Probably.)
  • Dream Theater: 'Constant Motion' (4 words from the song: 'wheels in constant motion')
  • Dream Theater: 'Forsaken' (Two Dream Theater songs a bit much. No Chance!)
  • Clay Aiken: 'Solitaire' (just kidding!)
  • Foo Fighters: 'Everlong'
  • The Killers: 'Mr. Brightside'
  • Disturbed: 'Facade'
  • Blur: 'Song 2' (Caps beat the Sens in '98) *
  • Europe: 'Final Countdown' (don't judge me)
  • Coldplay: 'Vida la Vida' (Hey, there is such thing as a cool down!)

That's it. That's the list. Of course, I can only pick from songs that are actually on the iPod and since I don't really too many songs I'm a bit limited (I think we've used about 1/3 of the total capacity so far). What am I missing?

We're letting Patrick and Julia put together playlists next. Maybe we'll post those as well.

*[Obscure reference: 'Caps beat the Sens' -- a reference to the fact that in 1998 the Ottawa Senators of the NHL began playing 'Song 2' by Blur during their playoff games (and introduced the Woo Hoo towels). The Caps met the Sens in the playoffs that year and beat them 4 games to 1. I've liked the song ever since.]

CJS

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

May not be on your biking playlist, but I would bet Solitaire is on your ipod.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your list, John. Anyone with Everlong on their list is a friend of mine. I'm a little disappointed in "The Final Countdown," but that's on my ipod too, so who am I to judge?

A few other random recommendations to get you going, or just because they get five stars on my ipod
1. Thunderkiss 65: White Zombie
2. Free Fallin': John Mayer (remake)
3. I Will Possess Your Heart: Death Cab For Cutie
4. What's My Age Again?: Blink 182
5. Dirty Blvd: Lou Reed
6. Pink Houses: John Mellencamp
7. It's A Shame About Ray: The Lemonheads
8. Damage, Inc: Metallica
9. With Every Light: Smashing Pumpkins
10. Hells Bells: AC/DC

We'll be back in Mougins next Tuesday. Let's really get together this time.

Vic Heaney said...

Jonathan, try the live version of "Sultans of Swing" from the Alchemy album by Dire Straits. The ending guitar solo will make your toes curl.