04 September 2008

A $300K Outfit?

I HAVEN'T WRITTEN about US politics in a while and I'm not going to start now (although I really, really want to!). But this did catch my eye -- and the eye of the French press as well. Apparently, Vanity Fair has tallied up the cost of Cindy McCain's outfit from the other night and put the total around $300,000. Is that possible? Ladies out there, is that really possible? The only way I could have an ensemble that expensive is if I wore a designer suit and a $299,000-bill for a tie. [Note: I used to wear my collar like that...in 1984.]

Here's Vanity Fair's estimate:

Oscar de la Renta dress: $3,000
Chanel J12 White Ceramic Watch: $4,500
Three-carat diamond earrings: $280,000
Four-strand pearl necklace: $11,000-$25,000
Shoes, designer unknown: $600
Total: Between $299,100 and $313,100
This just makes me wish even more that Obama wasn't so elitist!
CJS
Late Update: OK, I had to add one more...the Daily Show clip above.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Write more about politics. We non-Americans need to know what's going on.

Anonymous said...

Palin's hair looked like it was from 1984 too.

torbjorn said...

...or you could borrow her earrings...

Anonymous said...

Designer shoes : $600. Now if I can just find a way to finance the purchase!! :) WOW!

La Vie est Belle said...

I think there is an error with the diamond earrings. Even if they were the super best quality, I doubt 3 carats would be that high of a price. Even at 3 carats each I don't know. Hmmmm.