18 October 2008

Louis-le-Grand and Indian Food

I SPENT ALL day Friday in Paris meeting with representative from other French OIB schools. The meetings weren't all that interesting -- but the venue was: we met at the famous Lycée Louis-le-Grand, the most prestigious public high school in Paris which was founded in 1593 in the heart of the Quartier Latin, just down the road from the Sorbonne.

It's stunning! This photo doesn't really show much except the door where I walked in.

Just to give you and idea of the kinds of people who have gone through this lycée, take a look at some of it's most famous students: Molière, Voltaire, Victor Hugo, Georges Pompidou, Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, Robespierre, and all the presidents of the French Fifth Republic.

Not a shabby list.

I stayed (again) at the Hotel Agora in the 1st Arrondissement which I love because it's in a real vibrant part of the city and only a 10-15 minute walk from Rue Rivoli, the Hotel de Ville, Notre Dame, the Seine, and the Latin Quarter. I should add the it's only a few minutes from two Indian restaurants that I now go to whenever I am there (hey -- it's hard to get good Indian food down here in the South): Akash Restaurant and Safran. The food is very good at both of these places, but my one complaint would be that I always end up wishing the fooding was spicier. I cut them some slack, though, because they are located in France and the French are a bit on the wimpy side when it somes to spicey foods. Am I allowed to say that? At the end of my meal last night I actually told the waiter I liked it with a bit more heat. His response, and I'm paraphrasing: 'Why didn't you tell me? If you want heat we'll give you heat'. Next time!

CJS

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I took my husband to my old high school (NOT Louis Le Grand!) when we visited France and he found it really beautiful... I guess our buildings and more historical, including schools.

Anonymous said...

Hello. The chowhound web site in the France section has a recent collection of blogs about the best Paris Indian restaurants that you might want to read in preparation for your next visit to Paris. As you say, the collective thoughts are that they tend to underspice the food for the French taste buds. Here is the link; www.chowhound.com

Michel

Manue said...

it's the high school of one of my best friend. (no it's not cecile's high school.)

pardon me but i think Chirac went to Carnot (my dad's school!) not Louis le Grand. but i might be mistaken..

xxxx

emmanuelle