15 November 2008

Hollywood Meets Wikipedia

THIS EVENING WE settled down for a family movie night at watched Finding Neverland, the story of how British playwrite James Barrie came up with the story for Peter Pan. Johnny Depp plays the role of Barrie (brilliantly, again -- more on that later) and the film details how Barrie got to know four children who had no father (they were the sons of a family friend) and used his time with the kids as the inspiration for the classic children's story. The film was terrific and the relationship between Barrie and the four boys was very touching.

Well, when the film was over I thought it would be fun to jump onto the internet to see whatever happened to those cute little boys. I gathered the kids around the computer for a quick lesson in how practical the internet can be when looking for information.

It went downhill from there. A quick look on wikipedia revealed a fairly troubled life for the Davies boys. They lost their father and mother within three years; one of the brothers was killed in World War I, another drowned at the age of 20 -- possibly in a suicide pact with his gay lover; and the boy who was the inspiration for the character Peter Pan -- his real name was Peter Davies -- grew up to resent his conncection to 'that terrible masterpiece' and died at the age of 63 when he threw himself under a train.

And I read that to Patrick and Julia. I think I ruined the movie for them.

Just goes to show you how unpractical the internet can be sometimes.
CJS

[Note: I am in the tank for Johnny Depp; and I admit that I was wrong about him. Look, I liked 21 Jump Street as much as the next guy teen, but I though Depp was a punk and was sure his career would mirror that of Anthony Michael Hall and Judd Nelson. Again, I admit I was wrong. I now think of Depp as one of Hollywood's very best. Plus, he spends a good deal of his time living here in Provence.]

2 comments :

deedee said...

I'm a reformed Johnny Depp admirer, too. Plus, he was practically my neighbor for a year, he just didn't know it :)

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Saw this film when it came out in the theater.... It was very sad, but a good film! I forgot all about it! I'm having my hub look it up so we can watch it in French.. I think he would like it! Thanks for the post!
Cheers, Leesa