20 November 2008

How's My French? Well, Read For Yourself In This French Magazine!

IT'S TRUE. I'VE been published in a French magazine -- in French! I have the photo to prove it (left). How do you like me now?

OK, it's not quite that simple. Here's the full truth.

I owe it all to our friends over at Les Masson -- a great little blog that chronicles the experiences of an American couple in Lyon (who are also named Jonathan and Kerri, by the way -- but with some slightly different spellings I think). It turns out that Ms. 'Les Masson' works for a company that publishes a variety of magazines in France (I think I'm at least close on this point). One day last summer I got an email asking if I'd be willing to contribute a short little piece for a magazine called Bien Dire, which was running some articles about the 200th anniversary of the baccalauréat. Les Masson reads this blog from time to time and read some of my thoughts about grading le bac for the first time last June. I said it sounded like fun but that I wouldn't be able to write anything in French. Turns out that wasn't going to be a problem because Bien Dire is a magazine geared toward people who live in France who are trying to learn French -- so they have plenty of professional translators on staff.

Terrific. So I wrote a short blub in English and it came out in this month's issue of the magazine in French. How fun. In case you're interested (and I'm fully aware that you're probably not), here is my little blub as it appears in Bien Dire.
Il y a douze mois, je n’avais jamais entendu parler du bac. C’était avant que j’accepte un travail d’enseignant dans une école française Internationale à Valbonne. Après un an d’expérience, je dois dire que, pour moi, la chose la plus surprenante, au sujet du bac, c’est la façon dont les élèves de notre école ont reçu leurs résultats.

Partout en France, les résultats étaient donnés le vendredi 4 juillet. Cet après-midi-là, notre école avait un rassemblement près de la salle des professeurs, où les résultats, pour tous nos étudiants de terminale, étaient annoncés publiquement par haut-parleur. Ceci m’a semblé un peu exagéré. Sérieusement ? Un haut-parleur ? N’oublions pas que pour la plupart de ces étudiants, ces résultats font ou défont leur avenir immédiat. Cela fait beaucoup de pression de partager ceci avec deux cents autres personnes.

Peut-être que c’est la façon française de rester en contact avec leur propre histoire, car je sais que, pour certains, le 4 juillet était comme une exécution publique (la version 2008 de la guillotine). J’espère que ce n’était pas le cas pour trop d’entre eux
Thanks Les Masson!
CJS

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

G says SPS!

Anonymous said...

I used to read Bien Dire when I was still in the US. It was pretty helpful for me. That's cool that you're part of it!