10 December 2008

How Many Grams in a Cup?

WE'RE CONSTANTLY GETTING confused by our lack of knowledge of the metric system (forgive us, we're American). Not the kilometers and liters part -- that's pretty easy to graps. But the grams and milliliters and centimeters part can make cooking and measuring a bit difficult.

I don't know why the United States doesn't use the metric system, but it is interesting to note that the US is one of only three countries that don't. The other two: Liberia and Burma.

In case the last bit of information didn't sink in, here's a visual: a map showing all the countries in the world that do NOT use the metric system.


CJS

7 comments :

t said...

Maybe you should paint the UK pink on that map - when I was last there they were using both systems

Anonymous said...

Heh yeah I was going to say the UK uses miles instead of kilometers, but grams for cooking and celcius for temperature... which I find even more confusing than just sticking to one system.

Penny said...

Ha ha! I come from a metric country but I am only used to millilitres not centilitres - I still have to convert centilitres in my head so I can only imagine how much fun you're having!

:)

French for a While said...

It's true that Britain should probably be pink. They use both. But then again, in the US we use both as well. Ever bough a large bottle of Coke in the US -- it comes in a 2 LITER BOTTLE. But milk comes by the GALLON.

Unknown said...

Canada uses a bit of both. Weight is in pds, hrs in 12 hr clock, gas in litres, foods in metric... The list goes on.. I think it is confusing when everyone else doesn't think the way you do! I'm glad to have changed, as it does get easier over time.. OR use the trusty old internet for conversions. :)

Unknown said...

Oh did you know that in Europe, the measurement for a bottle of coke is different than in Canada? My Swiss friend pointed this out on his last visit. I think in Europe it is exactly 800 ml and in Canada it's something like 792ml... Strange!

deedee said...

I have a conversion sheet taped to the wall in my "cuisine".