02 December 2008

The Obama Gifts Keep Coming

FIRST IT WAS free coffee at Le Petit Cafe, then it was a slice of cake from a student, and today it turns out to be a bottle of wine from a colleague. All three are 'gifts' I have received in honor of Obama's win last month. Who knew being an Obama supported in France would pay such dividends.


I've mentioned before that I have a colleague who has relatives who manage the Château Palmer, a winery in the Margaux appelation of the Bordeaux wine region. [I origanally wrote they the relatives managed the Château Margeaux, but I was wrong -- it's a château in Margeaux. What do I know?]. Anyway, for months she has been promising to bring in a bottle of the Palmer for me -- something I've been discouraging because giving it to me would be a waste of a good bottle of wine. She persisted, and today she brought in bottle and presented it to me in 'honor of Barack Obama'. Geez, this guy really might be The One.

You can see the photo: Château Palmer Alter Ego de Palmer 2000. I think this is a second wine from Palmer, but to be honest I'm not sure.

Anyway, We'll probably never open this bottle of wine (would we 'appreciate' it?) but it will sit down in our cave and look pretty.
CJS

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I remember you saying it was a contact with Chateau Margaux when we last dined together for steak (at least without the wives) at the Caucus Room in D.C. However, Chateau Palmer is not far removed in quality, and in fact surpasses in specific vintages (e.g., 1970 and a couple in the 1980's). Alter Ego is Chateau Palmer's second growth (best name ever for a second growth by the way), but 2000 is a great vintage so although nice now, I'm guessing you have another 3-7 years to consume.

Vic Heaney said...

I'm waiting for Obama himself to send me some gifts, or at least goodies.

As you know, we were in USA for the election. Our friends Jane and Lorenzo had, weeks earlier, sent for some Obama t-shirts for us. They were rather slow in arriving. They came after the election, or at least Gay's did. It was very, very nice and fit her a treat. What came for me was a long-sleeved t in size XXL. As you know, I am rather smaller than that. Compact, we say, rather than small.

The merchandizing team had run out of medium short-sleeved, so "thought you might like this instead". What?! Jane immediately telephoned and asked for a large t, to be sent to me here in France. We are are still waiting.

I hope his administration is more efficient than his merchandizing setup!

If you want to know the extent of Gay's conversion to US politics, we are tomorrow collecting from Carcassonne the Obama poster she has had framed and which will be going up in a prominent place chez nous.