23 January 2009

A Little Basketball

I HAVEN'T PLAYED organized basketball in a long, long time. But last night I ventured up to the brand new collège gymnasium in our town where they have started playing basketball on Thursday nights. I played for about 2 hours with with some local French guys -- which means, of course, that they contributed about 14 meaningless minutes, scored 2 points and had 4 rebounds. (Editor's Note: that was a cheap shot joke that references French players in the NBA. I apologize. And, yes, I know that only two or three of you even get it).

It was a lot of fun, despite the aches and pains I am experiencing today. Since there was only six of us we played half-court and had some fun games, mainly because there was a nice mix of players and ability levels. The one frustrating aspect of the evening was that I'm not up to speed on my French basketball lingo -- I didn't even know how to properly say 'I fouled you.' I'm going to continue going each week, but before the next session I'm going to figure out how to say (in French) some of the phrases you need in basketball --- like 'it's off me', 'nice pass', and 'in your face, b**ch.'

CJS

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

I should be used to you by now, but you still caught be off guard with the last line. lol!!

Anonymous said...

i think you would say it...dans ta face bitch...greetings scriven! betch'a didn't ever think you would heaar from me!! I see your in Provence(?), I will be in Frankfurt in April, perhaps I can sneak away for a day to come visit!? What are you teaching? I stumbled upon your blog, inside the beltway, while searching(homesick just a little for D.C.)and am pretty excited to see your family and Kerri!! Keep me in the loop as to how your doing and what going on! -Don Riedthaler don@dvw.com