11 February 2009

Teaching European History in Europe

JUST A QUICK thought.

I've taught the rise of Hitler many times, but never at a school where so many students have grandparents who were actually part of the Hitler Youth.

I've taught about the Vichy government in France during WWII, but never in a class where some students had relatives who were part of that government.

I've taught about the French-Algerian conflict in the 1960s, but never with the children of Pied Noir sitting right in front of me.

I've taught courses on Russian history dozens of times, but rarely with so many Russian students in the class.

And I've taught about the emergence of the United States and a 'hyper-power', but rarely with so few Americans in the class.

I get some new and interesting perspectives on this side of the Atlantic.
CJS

No comments :