19 March 2009

Oy...

HAD TO DEAL with it again today: mass national strikes. I should be fair and say that the strikes rarely affect me since I don't use public transportation very often. And while I am an educator, I am not employed by the French government so participating in the strike isn't an option for me. But there is still something (still) odd about hearing that 2.5-3.0 million people are going to walk off the job for a day. What's even more interesting is the latest poll suggesting that 70% of people in France supported the strike today.

Can you imagine those kinds of numbers in other countries?
CJS

Late Update: some media outlets are questioning the numbers that Union leaders are touting regarding today's strike. Even I have to admit that very few teachers at my school seemed to be away today. And there was virtually no disruption at Patrick and Julia's school.

No comments :