13 October 2009

Unintentionally Dropping the (almost) F-Bomb

NOT ME, OUR four year old son Henry.

Henry has a habit -- which is quite funny at times -- of using English phrases or idioms but sometimes not quite getting them right. One of the ones he uses frequently is a mixture of 'Let Go' and 'Get Off' which ends up as 'Luck-Off'! As you might expect, this is used whenever someone (OK, usually me) is annoying him or trying to help him when he just doesn't want help. And as you might guess, when he says this phrase with a certain degree of force it sounds like he is throwing around the F-word. Sometimes he just looks at me and says, 'Luck-Off!' Just like Mr. Beeks in Trading Places (come on, you remember the scene!). I find so much joy and humor in the phrase that it's to the point now where I purposely irritate Henry just to hear him tell me to Luck-Off.

I am such a child sometimes, I know.

Oh, and if you think this is the first time Henry has thrown-around the F-bomb, you might have forgotten this video from about 18 months ago:

4 comments :

Justin said...

That is ... absolutely ... HILARIOUS! Thanks for making me smile.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, the Mr. Beeks reference was great. Haven't seen that movie in a long, long time.

kirsten said...

oh my. you're killing me. I'll just wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes now. Just b/c I know Kerri, I love listening to her response in the video...

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Funny you should mention this...
Just the other night while teaching two 7 year olds.. the word was "fat" and one of the little ones kept chiming... F---- F---- F---- and when I heard the word, it wasn't "fat!" Whoa!! I was a little horrified thinking he knew that word and was repeating it so casually... I told him that word he was saying was a bad word, and that the word was "fat." He corrected himself, whew!!! Honestly... I think it was from that song that I here on the radio all the time here-- the "Thank you" song.. You know the one ; )